Holy Trinity Church stands on the Oxford Road in Reading, about 500 metres west of the town centre. It was built in 1826 as a proprietary chapel, to the designs of local architect Edward Garbett. It appears in one of the earliest photographs ever taken by Henry Fox Talbot, in 1840.
The church is grade II listed, mainly because of its chancel rood screen designed by Augustus Pugin. However, the church is packed with other fine furnishings. The high altar was designed by Martin Travers and the very tall Queen Anne pulpit, from which both Wesley brothers have preached, was rescued from Oxford. Below, lies its crypt with burial vaults dating back to the earliest years of the building’s use.
Churchwarden Ron Cutting will lead this tour. He will explain the history of the church and some of its more prominent parishioners. The tour will include a visit to the very fine and atmospheric crypt, which, for many, will be the highlight of this special visit.
About Berkshire Family History Society
This tour is organised by Berkshire Family History Society, a registered charity, number 283010.