Holy Trinity Church stands on the Oxford Road in Reading, about 500 metres west of the town centre. It was built in 1826 as a proprietary chapel, to the designs of local architect Edward Garbett. It appears in one of the earliest photographs ever taken by Henry Fox Talbot, in 1840.
The church is grade II listed, mainly because of its chancel rood screen designed by Augustus Pugin. However, the church is packed with other fine furnishings.
Churchwarden Ron Cutting will lead this tour. He will explain the history of the church and some of its more prominent parishioners. The tour will include a visit to the very fine crypt, which, for some, will be the highlight of this special visit.
This is a rare opportunity to see this historic treasure. Places are limited and so early booking is recommended.
The tour will be around 60 minutes in length, and will be comply with prevailing Covid requirements.
Places are limited, so pre-booking is required. Bookings close one day before the tour.
Image: Burial vaults in the crypt of Holy Trinity Church, Reading , reproduced with the kind permission of Callum Cromwell. Copyright Callum Cromwell.
About Berkshire Family History Society
This tour is organised by Berkshire Family History Society, a registered charity, number 283010.