Greyfriars Church in Reading, shown in the image about 1860, started life as part of a larger Franciscan friary church, within a complex of other buildings – a chapter house, cloister, dormitory and others. When the friary was closed down under Henry VIII, the nave survived. After half a century as Reading’s town hall, it was used as a poor house, barracks in the civil war, and a prison. There was even a pub attached to it, where the south transept is now. In 1863, it re-opened as a parish church, restored and enlarged.
This well-illustrated talk covers its rich and varied history from the arrival of the first friars in the town, to the present day redevelopment of the site.
12 noon - 1.15pm
Pre-booking is required because full joining instructions will be emailed to attendees in advance. Bookings close one day before the event.
About Berkshire Family History Society
This talk is organised by Berkshire Family History Society, a registered charity, number 283010.